Monday, January 29, 2007

NO, I'M NOT TOO OLD FOR ICE SKATING

A couple weeks ago our lake was not frozen at all but now we have 7 inches of relatively smooth ice. Thomas and Erin got new skates for Christmas and Sarah was ready to try real skates instead of the old double runner skates she had been using. I laced up MY new skates and we all headed out yesterday for what ended up being a great time.

Tom had gone down the day before with Thomas and his cordless drill to check the thickness. He sampled quite a few spots just to make sure we'd be safe. When he came home he said the only problem was that the ice was black. I didn't need to wonder why that was a problem because he immediately let me know black ice is "eerie". Ever the joker, I said "like Lake Erie?" He must have been sufficiently creeped out because after we put our skates on and skated down the lake, he yelled after us "I didn't check that area!" We all laughed heartily and skated on. Forced into risking his life on the eerie ice, he followed.

He eventually overcame his hesitation and zipped around like crazy. I on the other hand am a relatively slow skater. It didn't help a whole lot when the point of my skate caught on a crack and I took a nose dive. Or rather a knee dive blended in with a nose dive. After whacking my knee on the ice and putting my hands out to help break my fall, my hands continued sliding until I was stretched out completely on the ice. I continued rocketing acrossed the ice long enough for me to think how silly I must look. In my mind I've always thought I am a thin, funky looking chick but in reality I am a somewhat plump, middle-aged housewife. So picture a plump, middle-aged housewife sliding headfirst acrossed an eerie looking lake.... Although I couldn't see myself, Thomas was skating behind me and confirmed that it did indeed look quite funny. I hope someone was watching from their window and was able to get a laugh. If I cheered someone up, it would be worth my aching knee.

So we all lived and had one heck of a time! To think, I hadn't really wanted to venture out, I'm glad I did!

1 comment:

landismom said...

Ouch! Glad you had fun, though!