Wednesday, January 10, 2007

WHO I WANT TO BE PART 2

And another thing....

Often when I've made a dumb mistake I turn it into a joke. Its not uncommon for me to let people know how stupid I've been. On the one hand I do think my mistakes are funny, but on the other hand I think I should be aware how this makes other people see me. I realize that some people see me as flakey. Therefore, they treat me as flakey and probably spread the word that I am flakey. I'm really not an airhead, I just see humor in a lot of things.

Here's an example. Recently, I asked the girls ballet teacher how much it would cost for the girls to attend dance class. She told me $75 (per month) and I knew I should write it down because with everything else I have to remember it might slip my mind. Sure enough, by the next week I wasn't sure how much she had said so I asked Erin if she remembered. Erin guessed $72 while I thought $75. On the way to ballet I thought of how I was going to ask her how much I owed her. In my mind I began with a joke about how of course I forgot like I always do. I'm so old. I no longer have a brain. Then I stopped myself. Why not just say I forgot how much it would be, could she please tell me again. I realized that my joking was a subtle put down of myself. Continually doing this, is only going to give the impression that although I may be nice enough, I'm a little off my rocker. Certain people will always understand who I really am but the general population only knows me for how I project myself in these little snippets of daily life. A joke here and there is harmless but I think I should be a little more mindful of what I say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the exact same way. I constantly forget things. My mother is like that. we call it sometimers disease