Sunday, June 12, 2005

FATHER'S DAY

I'm publishing my Father's Day post a week early in the hopes that the people who do read my blog will have a week to consider how they would like to thank the fathers in their life. Men can seem like they are a lot different than women, but I think that a few words telling them the things that we appreciate would mean a lot!

The following is an article that I had published in a local paper 5 years ago. Somehow as I read it, its a bit disappointing to me. I seem to have trouble finding the words to show my appreciation for all that my husband does. Yet, the times that I am grumpy, I don't seem to have trouble finding the words to complain...

My husband is one of those people who is constantly busy. He's always doing some job around the house and still never complains when I say "do you think you could do...". He's a GREAT father who wants his kids to have happy memories of fishing, boating, camping, etc.. He leaves some aspects of parenting to me but I think that he truly believes that those are things that I do better (unfortunately, yelling is definitely something that I do better!) He has incredible patience with the kids and with me. With all that he does, he still is able to find the energy to show appreciation for all the things that I do. He constantly compliments me on how I look, how well I cook and how good of a mother I am. I don't give him much opportunity to compliment me on keeping a clean house, yet he never complains about the mess. I don't always take the time to show the appreciation that I feel.

Tom, you are GREAT!! I do feel appreciation for the husband and father that you have been all these years! I could never find the right words to show just how wonderful I think you are, but I hope you know!


Happy Father’s Day

I spend a lot of time telling my husband what he’s doing wrong. No, twinkies are not considered a vegetable. No, a four year old shouldn’t be climbing a twenty-foot ladder. I feel it’s my duty to inform him about these shortcomings so that he has a chance to correct them. The layman’s term for this is nagging. Although I may make him feel incompetent I have to admit the kids do just as well with him watching them as they do with me. They haven’t had any serious accidents while with him even though I’ve walked in on many situations that made my eyes bug out. Can it be that a father is just as good as a mother? My six year old recently helped answer that question when she asked that her Dad accompany her to the hospital when she needed to have tubes put into her ears. I thought she would be upset without me but she was just as happy with Dad’s hugs and comfort, as she would have been with mine.
I see many fathers today who step in and get involved with all aspects of parenting. They nurture, they discipline, they change diapers but most significant of all I even see some who feel guilt! We mothers have felt guilty about everything from yelling too much to giving our kids candy for breakfast. Its nice to know fathers can experience the same joy of worrying that we do.
Father’s Day is a good time to notice all those little things our husbands do. My husband is like a little elf following me around straightening up and helping out. He probably does not realize how much I appreciate what he does. When he goes on business trips I’m reminded of just how much he does do. For example, when he’s home he always remembers to close the garage door. When he’s gone all the local wildlife jumps for joy because they know I’ll forget and they can feast on our garbage! That’s just one of many things he does to make life easier.
We all seem to let our lives get so hectic that we don’t take time to say thank you for everyday things. Thanks for taking out the garbage, thanks for loading the dishwasher, thanks for reading to the kids, thanks for closing that garage door. This Father’s Day we should all say thanks and maybe we can resolve to do it more frequently. That’s better than any funny looking tie we could buy!

No comments: