Monday, June 06, 2005

THE BREAKFAST CLUB

Some mothers that I know invited me to start joining them in their monthly breakfasts at the Donut Connection. I have to tell you, I have totally enjoyed my time with them. We all have different personalities, but we get along like a bunch of peas in a pod. We talk, we complain, we laugh and at our last breakfast we cried, well, a couple of us got something in our eye... You may be thinking we were sad because now it is summer and we will not be having our breakfasts. No, it was not that, nor was it the fact that one of our members is moving down south.

It seemed to be the day of bad news. One woman just found out that her husband has cancer, this coming only a couple years after her own miraculous recovery from a stroke. Another woman chose to be quiet about her own recent diagnosis of stomach cancer. Maybe worse of all was the mother who needed to bring her son to have an MRI because he has lost much of his periphreal vision. We said a prayer for them and for the mother who is not in our breakfast club, but was at the same moment undergoing surgery for two brain tumors and an aneurysm.

We didn't talk a lot about anyone's specific problem. I think it may have been because everyone just wanted a moment to be happy, to not have to think about their battles. For me that's what the breakfast club has always been about, one morning in my month that does not feel like a struggle. A time that I can laugh at the stress. A time when I don't feel judged. I am saddened by the fact that my friends now have to face these tremendous challenges but am heartened by the fact that maybe our little club has given them a moment of peace.

Support, hope, friendship.

Good luck my friends.

No comments: