Wednesday, May 25, 2005

RUDE PEOPLE ARE RAMPANT

Tonight I went to my daughters orchestra concert. I have never seen a more rude audience. They were so loud that when one girl had a solo on the violin, I could not even hear it. People were walking around. People were talking as if a concert was not even going on. In the back of the gymnasium where no chairs were set up, people were letting their kids run wild. I am very patient when it comes to an active toddler or a crying baby, but this was totally uncontrolled. No one was even trying to be quiet. This time the grown-ups were as bad as the little kids. I'm telling you, it was UNBELIEVABLE. You know how people can be talking loudly before a performance starts, well, they just continued at that level. I know all the music teachers and said that I hoped that they would make an announcement before the chorus sang. Well, when the music teacher said into a microphone, "may I have your attention please", there was not even a tiny drop in the noise level. He finally said, "I will not start the performance until I have your attention". He told them to be respectful and quiet. It helped a little. If you can believe, there was still a lot of talking. I was SO disappointed and angry. Its so frustrating, because if these people do not know that what they did was wrong, how could you ever tell them? How can it get better? I've noticed more and more talking at all the performances that I go to but this time it was just over the top. Is this how its going to be? Is the only solution to not have concerts? Is this going on in other schools? Does anyone have a solution? I'm just so frustrated....

2 comments:

Misty said...

oh my gosh i hate that.....
we had our little girl in a bowling league and every week these parents would be there completely for "social hour" ignoring their kids who were A) bowling in the league and begging for their parents aproval or B) too young to be in the league so they ran around unsupervised.

what we found was that us, and one other mom were the only parents out of 88 kids, who watched and supported.
ITS PATHETIC......

sorry it was less enjoyable then you had hoped.

Anonymous said...

It really is up to the teacher / conductor to stop everything and ask people to be respectful and quiet, so it's good he did that. But if people weren't quiet, he should have lectured them on concert manners. It would have been good for the kids too to see that he respected them enough to do that..

But you are right, he should not even have to do this. You do have to wonder about people these days.