Friday, May 13, 2005

COMPETING PARENTS WITH THE KIDS AS THE PAWNS

Revised.

RULES OF THE GAME:
Player one thinks their child is better than your child. Player one makes their move by stating a marvelous fact about their child. Player two tries to come up with a more wonderful fact about their child. Now player one tries to come up with an even more wonderful fact about their child and so the game goes back and forth. Player one always loses, player two can only win by not making any moves. It doesn't matter which child is more wonderful. Any child present automatically loses.

Oh how I battle the urge to be sucked into this game. I have to remember when someone else makes a move, I don't lose if I refuse to make my move. Actually, I win. I can only lose when I make a move. Today I won a game. Someone made their move. I almost made my move, then I didn't. I WIN! Sorry, if I tell the whole story, that's my move and I lose.
Note: No children were present during the playing of this game.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just saw your comment at Mom in the Mirror on kids' sports, and I really agree. I think kids' sports too often is part of this little game you've described here so well.

And I totally agree with you, I don't think competition is so great or healthy for kids, despite what so many claim. Studies have found that the situations most conducive to creativity and learning are not competitive but cooperative; competitiveness actually decreases creativity.

Anyway, if you want to read a rant on kids' sports I posted at one of my blogs: Youth sports and gender roles

Anonymous said...

Hah! If there are no kids around, I usually go with the ridiculous. "When my son was a fetus, he used to tap out syncopated beats on my uterus. This is how we knew before birth that he'd be a musical genius."
Sadly, I'm sometimes taken seriously.