Sunday, May 29, 2005

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

Enjoy your BBQ's everyone but also remember all the people who died in war! I'm a mush when it comes to being patriotic.
I once read an article about why the Star Spangled Banner was written. I'm horrible with history, but here goes. It was during the War of 1812 with Great Britain. Francis Scott Key had been detained on a British ship in the harbor off the coast from Fort McHenry (Baltimore). The British attacked the fort and Key kept watching the flag flying over the fort. He checked at the "twilights last gleaming", and he knew it was still flying through the night because of "the rockets red glare of bombs bursting in air gave truth through the night that the flag was still there". I always imagine him searching for the flag the next morning, knowing that if he saw it they hadn't surrendered. "Oh, say can you see, by the dawns early light, what so proudly we hailed at the twilights last gleaming?" He had to sit there and wait and trust his life to all those soldiers. He must have been very joyful to see that flag flying that morning! Whenever I hear the National Anthem that's what I am thinking about and MY FREEDOM.

No comments: