Wednesday, May 30, 2007

THE BESTEST WEEKEND EVER



I'm a little late in posting about it, but I just wanted to say that we had the bestest Memorial Day weekend ever! We started our friday night with a big bonfire! We had been trying to have one for awhile but the weather just wasn't cooperating! Thomas happily burned up his old go cart and his wooden windmill. He built both from his own designs but has moved on to bigger and better projects. He turned wood gathering into a major workout. He ran through the woods collecting large and small branches, cutting them up and then adding them to the fire to keep it roaring! The picture above is the "grand finale" when he dumped in my cornstalks from last fall.

We continued the festivities by setting up the tent. Erin, Sarah and I slept out not one night but two! Other than a lot of very verbal crows in the morning we slept like logs. We were sure not to eat anything in the tent so one of the four bears wandering the neighborhood wouldn't show up for a snack! The bears didn't scare us but the ghost stories that Erin got off the internet sure did! Well, they didn't really scare me but it was fun telling them anyway!

Saturday evening was our first BBQ of hamburgers and hotdogs. Sunday was a perfectly done steak. By monday, I had to follow my supper time announcement with "and you'll like it". More hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill! My kids like variety so were almost sick of BBQ food. I say almost because I didn't allow them to vent their disapproval, so as far as I am concerned, they LOVED it!

We filled our days with yard work, home improvement and just for fun, a little relaxation!

It was a taste of the summer days to come!

No comments: