Monday, December 26, 2005

SEWING

Before Christmas I decided to make my family flannel pajamas. They don't seem to sell real flannel pajamas anymore because they so easily go up in flames. I decided to live life on the edge because the snuggly feeling is so worth it! Erin loves when I tuck her in at night because she says I am covering her up with love when I put her blankets on her. Sarah quickly picked up on this. So I told them how much love went into their pajamas and now they can walk around the house covered in love! Yeah, I know its hokey, but it makes all of us happy! I've wanted to post about this sewing project but couldn't because they were a surprise. I let them open their pajamas on Christmas Eve so they could wear them to bed and they would be wearing them in all the Christmas Day videos. More hokeyness as my husband and son wander around in matching plaid and the girls in matching pink and purple frilliness! I was able to achieve supreme happiness when they were just as thrilled about them as I was! Sickening isn't it! LOL!!

I was so excited about them that I couldn't help mentioning them to random people I came acrossed in everyday life. Then I realized that it sounded like I was trying to be crowned "Mother of the Year" and had to stop myself. As I was spending those countless hours sewing away, I felt how nice it was to be in a new phase with my kids where I actually have time and energy enough to work at something I enjoy. I love that feeling of creating something and seeing it take shape. I felt tired and worn down most of the time when they were really little and just decided to stop doing most of those projects and activities that I wanted to do. I know people always say "take time for yourself" but its one of those things that is easier said than done. Especially when I didn't have any family support, no one who would babysit or help out when the kids were sick. I always found asking a friend to watch the kids would backfire because payback always seemed twice as hard as what I would get out of the deal. So I muddled through and now I am at the end of that tunnel seeing the light of day. Its nice. I even think I have time and energy to make myself a pair of pajama pants with the extra cloth!

1 comment:

landismom said...

I think it's so great that you did this. I used to make a lot more gifts than I can now--I think I've made zero since my son was born. It's good to hear that that energy will return!