Sunday, September 10, 2006

FINALLY SOME GOOD NEWS

Friday I went to see my neurosurgeon about my pituitary tumor. I got copies of my MRI films, the written report and all the blood tests I had done. I walked into his office and just after I sat down, he said "so I have your MRI and it looks like everything is okay". Now, what was I supposed to say to someone who thinks its okay to have a tumor? I said "Well, I wouldn't say everything is okay when there is a tumor there." He then proceeded to explain to me that the "soft tissue mass" that shows up on the MRI is "more than likely not a tumor". Probably just scar tissue but from the previous surgery. The only way of telling for sure is to do another MRI in six months. He said the first thing for me to do is to stop worrying. When I had first read the MRI report, I had thought the radiologist was being wishy washy when he used words like "appears" and "may be". I have never met the radiologist but have the utmost trust in my neurosurgeon. He spent time to review the films with me, point out how perfect my pituitary gland was looking. How the spot where the old tumor was located was still free from tumor. He also showed me the mass that the radiologist was referring to. Its "adjacent" to the pituitary and doesn't look like a tumor to me, and apparently it doesn't look like a tumor to the neurosurgeon. The only wee little worry is "what the heck is it then". I trust my neurosurgeon enough, that I know that if it looked suspicious he would be alerted. Instead of worrying, I'm going to follow his advice and just stop worrying!

No comments: