Saturday, April 08, 2006

VOLUNTEERING

I have this belief that volunteering is something that everyone should do. At least a little bit. I don't think its necessary to do it in an "official" capacity. I consider that helping out a neighbor is volunteering. Actually, volunteering in that way may be even more giving because you'll never receive an award or special recognition. Its usually just a quiet thank you from the person you helped. I think the important thing is that you helped someone and knew that you were doing it just to be nice. No ulterior motives.

Mostly, I have volunteered in ways that also make my children happy. By going into their classrooms and helping the teachers. I like this because I feel that if I can make the teachers job easier, it allows them to spend more energy teaching the children and giving them a better education. The added benefit is that my kids always like me to be there.

This year my youngest is in third grade and I still was asked to come in once a week to help out for an hour. In addition to that I wanted to do something to help a larger group of kids with math. I am an engineer who always enjoyed math and it bothers me that so few kids like math. I think when they don't do well, it turns them off. I came up with an idea to put their multiplication tables into rhymes so that they would have more enthusiasm to learn them. In November (2005) I presented this to the principal and head teacher. This was an extreme challenge to me because I cannot stand the principal and have absolutely no respect for him. It required that I go in there and pretend that I did like and respect him. However, I felt that it was something I really wanted to do. I had originally wanted to work with the fifth graders, but he turned me in the direction of third grade. He introduced me to the third grade math coach and I presented my idea to her. She had been hired to help increase the assessment test scores since our school district had scored so poorly. She loved my idea but warned that the teachers have not been very receptive to change. My idea crashed. I was annoyed and bummed out. If our kids are doing so poorly, how could they decline any sort of help? I finally accepted that for whatever reason this was never going to happen.

Then at the end of March, after the state assessment tests had been completed, she came to me and said that now the teachers thought the idea was great. Could I start next week? I have to say that after I got over the shock, I needed to force myself to drum up some enthusiasm. It sounds childish, but I felt that they had their chance to want me. It wasn't right that they treated me this way. So I gritted my teeth and developed my plan. I kept telling myself I was doing it for the kids. That ended up being a good strategy because not every teacher is completely thrilled with me being there. I'm having trouble with that because I feel since I am spending my time and not getting paid for it, they could show a little appreciation....and this is where my internal battle begins because although my feelings are hurt, I realize this goes against my general philosophy about volunteering. To do it just to be a good person. Some of the teachers and the math coach are showing me a lot of appreciation and for that I am grateful. I never care about a big show of appreciation, actually I prefer to keep a low profile. Its just nice to know that you are wanted. That way you know that what you are doing is valuable. I know that a truly good person would be like Mother Theresa, but I doubt I will ever get there!

The important thing is that the kids were great. They seemed excited and were happy that I came in. That is what makes it all worth it.

1 comment:

landismom said...

I'm glad that you've wrestled with yourself enough to keep participating, despite the lukewarm reception. I think it's really important for all of us to participate in our kids' school, but I know that it can be challenging to do so.

I'd love it if you were to post some of the rhymes--that is a really neat idea.