Thursday, February 23, 2006

DON'T YOU JUST HATE BUSYBODIES?

Last week there was one really nice day where the kids were wearing short sleeved shirts and I only had to wear a sweatshirt. It was so great that we took Beau and all went for a walk together. We ended up down by the lake watching the water flow over the dam. There was open water by the dam and where the ice started it was super thin. So, being the kids we are we decided to throw rocks at the ice so it would break off and we could watch the icebergs flow over the dam. We were having a great time but you know how people tell you they felt like they were being watched? Well, I would occasionally glance around because I felt that eyes were upon us. I eventually just figured I was being paranoid.

This week I found out that I wasn't being paranoid! The community newsletter came out. This is what was in it:

"DAM SAFETY Children were observed on the damn weir last week. It appeared that they were throwing stones into the lake. The dam and the surrounding area are off limits to pedestrian traffic. This is a safety and insurance issue. And please refrain from throwing objects in the lake from the dam, the beach or your private dock. Thank you for your cooperation on these issues from your family and your guests."

Just so you know, our lake was formed when the Army Corp of Engineers blocked a creek using earth and on the very edge is what I call the dam - the spillway where the water flows over. We were on the earthen part and I'm not sure how anyone could see that we were being unsafe. We live in a community with a few busybodies who have nothing better to do with their time than to worry about kids throwing rocks into the lake. I like their spelling of dam, maybe they really wanted to put that word in front of the word "children" so it would read "dam_ children"!!

I REALLY CAN'T STAND BUSYBODIES!!

5 comments:

landismom said...

Wow, that's really annoying. I'd be tempted to go throw something big into the lake, personally.

cyndy said...

Hi Elise!

Humm...seems more like its all about INSURANCE...

Found your blog from your comment on mine!

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

Hi Elise, I followed a link at Bumblebee Sweetpotato.

We have a neighborhood association which does similar things. You should have heard the uproar over the color my neighbor painted his house. It's not on the list! It's not on the approved list!

I'm with Landismom. Stop by the dam EVERY DAY and throw rocks!

Elise said...

Believe me, I've spent some time trying to come up with some sort of revenge....since I own the road that is in front of my house I plan on kicking anyone associated with the community off the next time I see them drive by! Git off my property, fools! (maybe I'll even hold my BB gun for effect!) In reality, I just want to be left alone!
jennifer, we live near a "quaint" little town that has a thing called the "Architectural Review Board" that tries to control everything! People miss the point of life...

Anonymous said...

Healeysh@yahoo.com
I think busy bodies are the ones who like to think they are better than everyone else and donesn't want yhou to have fun