Tuesday, September 13, 2005

BACK TO SCHOOL

Of course like all parents I've been incredibly busy adjusting to the start of school. Its tough on the kids to get back into the swing of things but its hard on us parents too! I normally stay home with my kids so its weird to have them gone all day. I realized this year that I am not one of those parents doing a happy dance at the thought of having them gone. Oh sure, I laugh at all the funny commercials where the parents are overjoyed at the prospect of new found freedom. I especially like the one where the father is happily buying school supplies and the song in the background is "Its the most wonderful time of the year...". However, my laughter is a mask for my inner turmoil. I laugh on the outside, but on the inside I am crying. For those who don't know me, I'm being overly dramatic as a joke. Seriously, the start of school always makes me a bit sad. For the first two weeks I mope around the house pining away for my family. It almost feels like my footsteps are echoing through the empty rooms. Sounds that used to blend into the background now seem magnified. I usually try to go out somewhere on the first day. Then after that I resort to loud music or the TV. After a couple weeks or so I adjust and come to appreciate the extra time to catch up on things that never seem to get done. I'm almost there. Thank god, I'm sick of hearing the dog snore.

No comments: