Monday, August 01, 2005

INNER PEACE

THE SYMPTOMS OF INNER PEACE
  1. A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than from fears based on past experiences.
  2. An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.
  3. A loss of interest in judging self.
  4. A loss of interest in judging others.
  5. A loss of interest in conflict.
  6. A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.
  7. A loss of ability to worry (this is a very serious symptom).
  8. Frequent, overwhelming episodes of appreciation.
  9. Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature.
  10. Frequent attacks of smiling through the eyes of the heart.
  11. Increasing susceptibility to love extended by others as well as the uncontrollable urge to extend it.
  12. An increasing tendency to let things happen rather than to make them happen.

By Mr. and Mrs. Jeff Rockwell

This is written on a scrap of paper that I have been carrying around for years. I am not a person who saves a lot of things but each time I read this, it makes so much sense to me. Over the years I have sometimes had some of the symptoms and sometimes they go away. I've never had all the symptoms at the same time. Some of them are difficult for me to accept. How can I be spontaneous when I know bad things could happen? How can I extend and accept love freely when sometimes I feel unlovable? The two about losing interest in judging self and others seem especially important to me but also are the most difficult to incorporate into everyday life. When I feel judged I automatically get defensive and judge right back. It would help me immensly if I could lose my interest in interpreting the actions of others. There are some that are sometimes very strong in me and other times seem to vanish. Like the one about appreciation, sometimes I feel so lucky and other times so unhappy with my life, yet things haven't changed at all. All the unhappiness is just inside me. There have been times that I read this list everyday and times that it gets misplaced for awhile. No matter where the list ends up this elusive peace has been my lifetime goal.

peace.

No comments: