Sunday, January 18, 2009

WANT ME TO PLAY YOU A SONG?

I've been teaching myself to play the keyboard. I've wanted to learn to play the piano since I was a teenager. A piano was too expensive and heavy so instead we bought a used keyboard. I looked up some basic information on the Internet and printed out a few easy songs and away I went.

It has helped that my son plays quite well. I've counted on him to play songs for me so I'll know how they sound and also to recommend what I should learn next. Right now he is pushing me to move on to learn the next song...I think he's pushing for the easy version of the Entertainer. I'm not sure if he's pushing because he really thinks I'm ready or he is just sick of hearing Fur Elise over and over and over! My mantra has now become "Want me to play you a song? Guess what it will be?" I think part of the reason that I've become obsessed with this particular song is that my name is Elise. After all it was written fur me!

Obsession is definitely the word for what's going on here. One day I played so much my vision was blurry and I felt dizzy (part of my unhealthiness). Its sort of weird because I am not a person who becomes obsessed with things. My attention span is just too short. In this case I guess I've just always had this goal of being able to play and I really want that dream to come true. I want to get to the point that I am no longer struggling to play the notes but I'm playing with feeling.

I have Scott Joplin on CD and love The Entertainer. I always listen to his music and can feel his emotions and now I want to be able to play it with emotions. I guess I'm ready....on to The Entertainer!

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I wanted you to learn the Entertainer because I know how satisfying it is to play a new song that is at the limit of your skill. I wanted you to experience this same feeling that I get every time a learn a new song.

I never tire of hearing the same song over and over again because there is no way around it when learning a song. I try not to sound too repetitive when I play, which I think is why I always try to learn a whole bunch of songs at once instead of one song at a time.

Maybe you should learn to play the organ? I think it's slightly easier than the piano.