Tuesday, October 28, 2008

PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION....DON'T GET ME STARTED!

I am a registered independent because I have the personality that says NO ONE IS GOING TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO! However, I definitely lean towards the left. After all, I am left handed! I have not always been this way. When I first started out as an adult I was more conservative, I still am conservative in a lot of ways but definitely not in the political arena. I made the switch after I realized that the Republican definition of conservative was a lot different than my definition of conservative. I am very careful with my money. I stay away from debt, paying off my credit card every month. If I don't have the money I don't buy it. I tend to buy a basic car that is very reliable. I don't live my life in a wild reckless way. I am not a thrill seeker. I figured that people who thought like me would be good at running the country. I thought the Republicans were conservative. I was wrong. I started paying attention to actions instead of words. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I voted for Bush number two the first time around. One of the reasons I voted for him was that I felt that we did not need to send our soldiers to other countries as much. We have problems right here that our resources should be spent on. He promised that he would keep our troops home....then he decided to conquer another country. Weapons of mass destruction, blah, blah, blah! Don't you remember, that was the original reason for the war or has everyone now been convinced that the war is protecting us from another 9/11 attack? NOT! I was totally against the war from day one. I knew it was a war that would turn out to be a mess and one that we could not win, why didn't Bush know that? Because he is an idiot.

Besides the Iraq fiasco, whatever happened to our balanced budget? Those crazy Democrats that just like to spend and tax managed to balance the budget and the "conservative" republicans managed to get us into more debt than ever. The last time I heard of this much spending Reagan was in office. Bush would blame it on this stupid war, but I am sure that even without the war he would have spent, spent, spent. How can we expect the average person to be financially responsible when our leadership isn't? I blame this economic downturn on the poor example that the Republicans have given us. Unfortunately, we may need these hardships to show us our folly.

I am not naive, I realize that all politicians lie. Its just that I think the Republican lies are worse for our country than the Democrats. The Republicans lie thinking about how they can benefit themselves. The Democrats lie in a way that is exaggerating what they can give us. (I'm cynical, aren't I) Sometimes McCain sounds like he really does love his country and wants to do great things but I've believed Republicans in the past and was burned. Because of this, I feel that I will never be able to vote for a Republican again no matter how good they sound.

The worse part about this election are the falsehoods perpetuated by the Republicans. I find it very sad when my kids come home and tell me the untruths that the other kids believe (high schoolers). They believe that Obama is a Muslim even though he is a Christian. I can understand why at this time in our country people would not be accepting of a Muslim president but why does being a Christian make him better anyways? Don't we have a separation of church and state? Just to be clear, I do know that Obama is a Christian!! I had to write that just in case some idiot happens along this post and is not clear on that! They believe that Obama thinks that if a partial birth abortion is botched then the mother should be able to kill the baby! I am not joking, this is something one kid told my son! I live in a Republican area of a usually Democratic state. It makes me sad to think that chances are these kids are getting their ideas from their parents. I think that most of these people have gotten their information from attack ads. Its hard for me to believe that most of these people have watched any of the debates where Obama refuted all these charges. If you don't want to vote for Obama, fine, but please get your facts straight. I tell my husband, if it sounds crazy it probably is. Why would a terrorist Muslim even bother to run for president? Why would the Democrats have a Muslim terrorist for their candidate? THEY WOULDN'T, ITS ABSURD!!

No comments: