Saturday, January 14, 2006

TOO BAD MY KIDS AREN'T JOCKS

Yeah, too bad! Me and my two middle schoolers have discussed whether they are nerds. I think the usual reply is "well, I guess so". They certainly fall far short of "jocks". Erin dances ballet and tap and Thomas runs, Forest Gump style. Remember, Forest was fast and had incredible endurance. Thomas may have been the smallest kid on the cross country team but he was also the fastest. Yes, brag, brag....I hate when I look like I'm bragging so I will stop now. Anyway, dancing and running do not really put you in the "jock" category. Now I will finally get to my point. I secretly think it is super hilarious that other parents feel sorry for you when your kids are not jocks. This feeling of pity seems to be magnified when your kids are also smart. I say "secretly" because how could I laugh in these parents face! Let me give you an example of an actual conversation I had with a mother of jocks. I was walking through the school to pick up Thomas and met her there.

Mother Jock: Hi Elise
Me: Hi, are you watching your son on the wrestling team?
Mother Jock: Yes
Me: I'm here to pick up Thomas, he's on the math team along with the six other kids in the school that actually like math. (This was said in a joking way with a laugh)
Mother Jock: Oh, that's alright, I say that as long as they show an interest in something its okay. (This was said in a way that indicated that I shouldn't be ashamed that Thomas liked math)
Me: chuckle

I mean, really, do people think I would rather have kids that were popular jocks!!??!! Yes, they do, because that seems to be very important in this culture. I laugh everytime someone tries to make me feel better about not being the parent of a star athlete. On the other hand its somewhat sad that people really feel popularity is the key to success. Its hard to feel sympathy for them through my laughter.

I believe the real keys to success don't lie in popularity or high intelligence. I believe a person must have a combination of confidence, happiness, the ability to make good decisions and a really good work ethic. These are the things that I watch for in my kids. Of course I also make sure they are not outcasts and they are able to make friends. I'm also glad that they have the advantage of being pretty smart. Happiness is the most important characteristic because I could never consider someone successful if they weren't happy.

Keep on smiling!

1 comment:

landismom said...

Bwah! That's a pretty funny reaction on the part of the other mother, especially in this day and age.