Wednesday, January 25, 2006

LADY BUG, LADY BUG FLY AWAY HOME

Pennsylvania seems to have an over abundance of lady bugs and they always swarm in the fall. Some of the thousands that literally coat the outside of our house every fall seem to find small cracks to make it inside and spend the winter. As a result, I have lady bugs flying around my house all the time. Most other people I talk to are driven crazy by these "bugs". They kill them and even vacuum them up when they are still alive. I have taken the more gentle approach of living in harmony with them. A fact that my son, Thomas, didn't appreciate the day he ran acrossed the kitchen and ended up with a lady bug in his mouth! Lady bugs are so cute, how could I just kill them? So far none have ended up in my coffee mug like that darn carpenter ant that I almost drank one day. Even if one does I will forgive them!

You'd think that is all I'd have to say about lady bugs, but no, the story goes on (and on and on)! Recently just before I headed off to bed I saw a lady bug on the edge of the pot that I am using to try to grow a cherry tomato plant. She was walking around the rim of the pot and since it is a circle, she just kept going and going and going. I felt sorry for that little lady bug, on the treadmill of life. Just circling and never getting anywhere. Don't we all feel that way sometimes? I didn't try to stop her but just wondered if she would still be there the next morning. The next day she was gone. I wonder if she flew home to check to see if her house was on fire and make sure her children were okay. I'm hoping that she went on vacation.

1 comment:

landismom said...

Wow, that's a lot of ladybugs! We don't get that many inside our house, but when we do, I usually put them out, but that's really about protecting them from the cats. Plus, of course, good for the garden.