Saturday, July 30, 2005

604,800 SECONDS OF HAPPINESS SAVED!

I just read a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson on another blog. "For every minute you are angry, you lose sixty seconds of happiness." Well, last night I think I lost 10,800 seconds of happiness. Dang! I really have got to work on this! Actually it was sort of a worrying kind of anger thing. You see I have this problem. When someone takes advantage of me I have this absurd habit of worrying about their feelings. I try to stick up for myself, but I am so bad at it that I literally spend hours worrying how best to approach the subject. All that worrying makes me angry at them as well as myself. How sick is that? I guess I need to give myself credit for the fact that in the past I would not stick up for myself and end up resenting the person who took advantage of me. This most recent problem would have possibly involved being resentful for an entire week of my summer vacation...That thought is what kept me awake last night losing happiness. And that thought is what prompted me to stand up for myself. I also need to give myself credit for the fact that once I do stand up for myself I take on the attitude of what is done is done and I no longer lose happiness over the problem. By standing up for myself I saved 604,800 seconds of happiness! Hooray!!

No comments: