Thursday, April 21, 2005

A MOTHER'S DAY LETTER

I have mixed feelings about Mother’s Day. I look forward to the usual "special breakfast" of cold toast, with a lot of butter, crusted scrambled eggs and burnt sausage all served with heaps of love. My kids always pick out a flat of flowers for planting but I especially like the homemade gifts and pictures. My ambivalence is created because what I’d really like is a personal commendation from the President of the United States for the outstanding work I’ve done as a mother. I am not holding my breath. I decided long ago my best compliments come in the form of hugs and kisses and spontaneous exclamations of "you’re the best mom". Just seeing how happy my kids are makes me feel good. These are rewards I get all year long. My ultimate reward would be to one day receive the following letter, because every mother hopes they are doing a good job.

Dear Mom,

Now that we are older and can really appreciate what you’ve done for us, we’d like to say thank you. You gave us discipline and taught us the difference between right and wrong. You showed us how to deal with different people and all sorts of situations. You taught us about life by including us in everything you did. We never felt left out. You told us we were great and gave us the confidence to face anything. We always knew you’d be there for us when we needed you and be our voice when someone needed to stand up for us.

We had our bad days when we were probably driving you crazy but you gritted your teeth and hugged us anyway. You had your bad days too when you yelled like crazy but you usually said sorry that you were feeling grumpy. It taught us that people are only human. We know you sometimes laid awake worrying or feeling guilty. You gave your best and we want you to know it was good enough. You’re a great mom and we are glad you’re ours!

Love,
Your Kids


I know my kids and husband appreciate me but this Mothers Day I’m giving myself and other mothers a pat on the back. Being a mother is challenging and rewarding. Its one of the most important jobs on earth and I’m glad its mine.

2 comments:

Misty said...

you are right! i did love it. i smiled to myself....
thanks for commenting on my blog, i hope you will continue to pop in from time to time! i am going to enjoy reading through yours because i just think its a fascinating thing to share our lives with others in such a manner! :)
thanks for making me smile this morning!

Elise said...

I will pop in now and then...I hope if you come back here you enjoy reading my blogs - some may be a little...off color (like potty training 101), but I can promise you I'll never curse!! lol I wrote the mother's day article several years ago, but other than the fact that my two older kids would now be able to cook me something edible, its all still relevant! Thanks again for coming.