Thursday, May 20, 2010

YES VIRGINIA, YOU CAN KILL RHUBARB

Rhubarb is one of those things that is supposed to be extremely easy to grow. I think this is why I find it so depressing to have so much trouble growing it. When I google information on growing rhubarb, I find tons of people who tell stories of their rampant rhubarb. They take years to kill it off in areas where they no longer want it to grow. They describe ways that they abuse it and it still refuses to die. Even my own mother told me that my nephew who owns a landscaping business had brought some rhubarb home that he had dug up from someone's yard. It was unwanted rhubarb so he threw it in a pile. My mother came along and "felt sorry for it" so she turned it over. It flourished in that spot. When I was visiting she helped me dig some up to bring home. That was two years ago. It's no longer doing so well. Last year I figured that I would have to give it a year to recover. This year I kept thinking, maybe it needs a little more time. Now, I am plotting ways to "help" it. The word "help" can be freely interchanged with "kill". This is the sort of story I can tell regardless of what plant I am talking about. I can seemingly do things exactly how other people do them with far different results. I'm thinking of one day writing a book titled "The Brown Thumb Guide to Gardening" with a subtitle of "How To Kill Off Most Any Plant". I'm not sure if I should include photographs or hire my daughter Sarah to draw pictures, or maybe a combination of both.

1 comment:

Brenda Grolle said...

I'm planting rhubarb this year for the first time. So, I guess it'll be an interesting experience.

I like your book idea. I predict it'll be a bestseller.