Friday, April 13, 2007

ACHIEVING GOALS

Sarah runs down the dirt road ahead of me. I'm walking because I am not meant to run. I watch as she reaches the end of the road for the third time and turns and heads back. If she runs back and forth on this stretch of road for four times she will have run two miles. That is her goal and she doesn't stop until she's reached it. I marvel in her tenacity. I love to see my children set goals for themselves and struggle to meet them. I'm unabashedly proud of them. They each meet their challenges in their own way. Thomas, finding something he's good at and immersing himself in it fully. Erin, preferring to take on something that she knows she will have to work at to succeed. Sarah, picking something she enjoys and quietly losing herself in it.

As I watched Sarah run, I thought about my own life. My own goals. I sometimes don't give myself credit for my successes. I downplay my accomplishments but when push comes to shove I know I have done a lot. Struggling to get my college degree I can only credit myself for sticking with it. Being careful with my money over the years has earned me a pretty good financial stability. Sort of a rags to riches story. Just not quite rags and not quite riches but close enough. Spending fourteen years being the best parent I can. That's been one of the most demanding jobs of my life, yet the most rewarding and probably the most successful.

For that moment, while watching Sarah meet one of her goals, I decided to focus on my own success. Just for a moment not focusing on my failures. I should do that more often!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are right. You need to relize how much you do. It is a cowinkydink that I just posted something about how good mother's are and that definetly includes you.