Friday, April 30, 2010

GOOD GARDENING MAKES UP FOR CRUMMY FIDDLE HEADS!!

The fiddle heads that I finally collected tasted awful. I hated them! Tom and Erin liked the first few and Thomas actually ate quite a few before he realized they weren't that great! I don't know why they tasted so good when I was a kid????

So, although this has been a week where I haven't felt so great, I've manage to still get a little gardening done. On the easy side I picked a few more beans from the plants on my window sill and now I'm up to 235 grams. I also thinned out my tomato and pepper seedlings that I started a couple weeks ago. I will still have to thin some more of the peppers and the impatiens when they get bigger. WOW, I just found out through spell check that I've always been wrong when I spelled it "impatients!" You learn something new everyday!

On the more difficult side, I was able to spend 2 or 3 hours working outside in my garden. I had dug a wide trench a week or so ago in order to do my pared down version of double digging. Yesterday I was able to add a couple of inches of decayed wood chips to the bottom and then made a good mix of peat moss, cow manure and the original soil to fill the rest in. I spent quite a bit of time mixing it all together. I plan to plant my carrots, beets and possibly swiss chard there and hope for the best. I have this nagging feeling that I will be extra disappointed when they don't grow well. Maybe reverse psychology will work. If I'm sure that nothing will grow maybe I'll be surprised when it's successful??? Reverse psychology seems to be working at least a bit when it comes to my migraines. Did I mention that I could be getting a migraine any minute now? If I keep saying that maybe I won't get one...oops that's being a bit too positive, maybe I should just say that I don't hold out much hope of this reverse psychology thing working! Well, at least if I'm a bit negative and skeptical of my new gardening bed, I won't be so disappointed if it fails to grow anything.

Anyhoo, I am quite proud of my new bed it's all fluffy and fertile looking! When I work so hard at something it gives me a very satisfied feeling. I hope to get out there today and work a bit more but it's supposed to be quite hot. Erin said it may get up to 80 degrees! EEK!

No comments: