Saturday, September 05, 2009

CHANGING SEASONS

This was a post that I wrote in the middle of January 2009 and for some reason never published it...I wonder why? I find that interesting so have decided to publish it now just at the end of summer, a glimpse into the heart of winter.

I'm not one to spend much time watching the weather channel so this new snow that is falling is a bit of a surprise for me. I usually count on other people to tell me about the approach of the latest storm or I just let the weather happen as it will. The last I heard we were just getting a few snow showers. I would guess we already have 5 inches and its still coming down.

I am not sick of winter yet. I haven't had a chance to go ice skating. We were planning to go today but I will have to see if anyone has the energy to shovel off the spot on the lake. By the time February rolls around winter will be a drag. Gone will be the joy of a freshly fallen snow. Tending a toasty fire will just become a chore. The biting cold will no longer be brisk and refreshing. March will taunt us with a few warm days only to be followed by a whirling snow storm. I'll long for spring. I'll pay attention to every little sign. In February I will listen for the birds. They sing more and more because they realize soon the warm weather will come. Before I know it, the geese will be coming back and the green will sprout.

I love the changing of the seasons. Just when you think you can't take anymore of one season, another one jumps in to take over.

No comments: